The sweetish taste of pumpkin pulp makes it possible to use it not only for soups and main dishes, but also for desserts. Pumpkin is great for making candied fruits. This sweet can be added to pastries or eaten instead of sweets. For candied fruits, it is recommended to choose pumpkin varieties with dense pulp containing less moisture.
- pumpkin – 1.5 kg;
- sugar – 750 g;
- powdered citric acid – 1 tsp. with a slide;
- powdered sugar – 1 tbsp. l.;
- cornstarch – 1 tbsp. l.;
- cinnamon, nutmeg – to taste.
- Wash pumpkin, remove skin and seeds. Cut the pulp into cubes with a side of 1 cm.
- Put the pumpkin pulp in a saucepan, sprinkle with sugar and mix. Leave for a few hours. During this time, pumpkin juice will stand out, in which sugar should completely dissolve.
- Add citric acid and spices to the pumpkin, mix.
- Bring the contents of the saucepan to a boil over high heat. Simmer for a few minutes until the pumpkin cubes are soft. However, do not overcook, the cubes should retain their shape.
- Cool the contents of the pan, pour the syrup into a separate container. Boil the syrup and boil for 7-10 minutes.
- Pour the hot syrup over the pumpkin cubes so that they are completely covered with liquid. Leave until cool.
- Drain the syrup again, boil it down and pour it over the pumpkin cubes, leaving to cool. Drain the syrup completely from the pumpkin with a colander.
- Preheat oven to 100°C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange the pumpkin cubes in a single layer so that they do not stick together. Dry in the oven with the door ajar for 2-3 hours. It is important not to overdry, the finished candied fruits should not be dry and hard.
- Transfer the candied fruit to a flat dish or tray and leave in a well-ventilated area overnight.
- Mix powdered sugar with starch and spray this mixture over candied fruits, separating sticky cubes.
- Store candied pumpkin in a closed container in a cool, dry place.
You can cook a lot of sweet dishes from pumpkin. Fans of original desserts may be interested in pumpkin jam recipewhich can be prepared for the winter.